If you’re shopping for new flooring and don’t know where to start, check out these tips from local flooring expert, Melissa Haqq, of Metrotown Floors + Interiors.
“The best way to choose the perfect flooring for your home is to concentrate on 4 categories,” Melissa says.
- Lifestyle: The way you live day-to-day should be a key factor in your decision. Heavier traffic needs strong flooring, such as ceramic tile, hardwood or vinyl. “You need to take into consideration if you have pets and how active in the home you are,” says Haqq. “Are they in a condo or townhome or house? Are they quiet or will they be entertaining people?”
- Location:“Many people go for a certain look without thinking about the consequences,” says Haqq. “They think hardwood flooring would look great in a bathroom or kitchen, for example. But the rule is, you really shouldn’t put hardwood in any area with moisture because it can buckle.” Other things to keep in mind is whether the flooring is in a high-traffic area, such as a foyer, or whether it needs to be cleaned regularly, such as in a mudroom.
- Cost: Let your flooring company know your budget, says Haqq. That will help you determine right away if you can afford hardwood or need to choose laminate- or if it’s going to be vinyl or carpet. And don’t forget the subfloor, “Depending on what you have underneath and whether it needs to have any improvements, the cost of your job could get very high,” says Haqq. “There’s a myth that you can just put a new floor over an old floor.”
- Sustainability: The interest in being “green” affects many people’s buying decisions. When applying it to flooring, you should keep in mind a variety of criteria for each product. Bamboo is considered sustainable because it regrows quickly; but it’s a soft wood and may need replacing sooner. Cork will also wear out quickly if the residents wear high heels. Metrotown Floors + Interiors has a variety of eco-friendly products that take all these factors into account.
If you’re in need of some extra help, a flooring expert from Metrotown Floors + Interiors can visit your home to do an in-home estimate.
To find the flooring that’s right for you, visit the experts at Metrotown Floors at 5690 Imperial St, Burnaby, or check out their website, call 604-434-4463 or email. You can also find Metrotown Floors on Facebook, Pinterest or Houzz.
– See more at: http://www.burnabynow.com/standout/how-to-choose-the-perfect-flooring-4-expert-tips-1.2261556#sthash.VmL0IqAh.dpuf